Thursday 23 September 2010

Summer Project - Drinking In Britain


For my summer project entitled "Drinking in Britain". After realising there were so manyangles to take in this project, I felt more drawn towards illustrating the effects of alcohol. I researched the long term and short term effects and this is what I came up with.

I created a life size piece which pictures a man drinking alcohol. I took some inspiration from those medical/educational diagrams you find in those school science text books, and also from an incredible illustrator/typographer called Oscar Wilson (check him out).

I created the dark background by photcopying newspaper articles that show the negative side of alcohol and collaging them together, working over them with paint, charcoal and oil pastel to give it some texture and atmosphere. The figure is made of brown paper and each part of the body is done using black marker pen on red painted paper and stuck over the top.

The illustration itself shows the effects of alcohol, and highlights all the body parts and vital organs that are effected when large ammounts are consumed. Such problems such as liver damage, heart disease and mental health problems are illustrated here.

Originally I intended this to be used as some sort of educational campaign against binge drinking but scaled down and photoshop filtered, it could still look good as a magazine or newspaper illustration as I have demonstrated in the last picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment